When You’re Craving Fries, Try This Low Calorie Alternative!
Currently I’m doing an Optifast Intensive pre-op diet before I get gastric sleeve in just a few weeks! As part of this diet, we’re required to have 2-4 cups of vegetables per day from an allowed list. Carrots are one of those things on the list and I love fries so I thought I’d make some deliciously spiced carrot fries to curb any cravings and make the most of my allowance.
This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, lower carb and low calorie alternative! You can make these for any occasion, not just if you’re following the Optifast pre-op diet. I’ve used super simple spices to make the flavours pop but suit a variety of palettes. I also used a low calorie dressing from the Eta Lite range as recommended my dietician for this stage however feel free to use whatever fits in with your eating requirements.
Carrot Chips with Low Calorie Dip
Recipe created by Ari Eats
Makes 1-2 servings
Prep time: 10
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 40
- 4 large carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs (or your favourite dried herbs)
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius on fan bake.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Chop both ends of your carrots, peel the carrots and then cut your carrots into sticks.
- Lay your carrots on the lined baking tray and drizzle with olive oil.
- Mix together your herbs in a small bowl. Coat the carrot sticks with the spices.
- Make sure each carrot is coated evenly with the spices and oil – use your hands if needed.
- Place the tray in the oven and allow to cook for 30-40 minutes until soft and golden on the outside. The carrots will have reduced in size by about two thirds.
- Serve with a low calorie dip such as Eta Lite Feta & Garlic dressing. I also topped mine with fresh thyme from my herb garden.