Nothing smells better than freshly cooked banana bread, straight from the oven. I recall being woken up by the scent of it as a child and nibbling on it no the way to school. I wanted to recreate a healthier version adapted from my Mums own recipe so I’ve collaborated with Healtheries* to bring you my Raspberry Coconut & Cacao Chia Seed Banana Bread.
I wanted to utilise their black chia seeds in this recipe so I’ve used chia seeds three different ways. Chia seeds are a nutritional powerhouse containing many health benefits hence their superfood title. Chia seeds also contain Omega 3 fatty acids and are a great source of fibre. I’ve used the chia seeds to create an egg substitute which is perfect for those who are egg-free and/or vegan. I’ve sprinkled it generously across the top of the banana bread. I also loved the raspberry element of this banana bread so I made a super simple Raspberry Chia Seed Jam recipe which can be used spread on top of each slice to enhance the raspberry flavour if so desired.
This recipe is grain free, dairy free, egg free and gluten free making it a great choice to take a long to a shared lunch with friends or family who may have intolerances, allergies or following specific lifestyles such as veganism or primal/paleo.
This recipe is perfect for those over ripe bananas that are bruised and browned. The natural sweetness of over ripe banana is a key element for the making of a delicious banana bread. The recipe will keep for around 3 -5 days in an airtight container. Serve as toast with chia seed jam or warm with coconut cream.
Raspberry Coconut & Cacao Chia Seed Banana Bread
Recipe created by Ari Eats
Makes 8 – 12 slices (depending on thickness)
For the banana bread:
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour (I used Healtheries Simple Wheat & Gluten Free Baking Mix)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder (you could also use cocoa)
- 1 cup ripe mashed banana (2-3 bananas)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup packed coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut yoghurt (greek or natural would also work)
- 1/2 cup smashed raspberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut shredded
Chia seed egg –
- 1 tablespoons black chia seeds (I used the Healtheries Black Chia Seeds)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (coconut milk, full fat milk or water also work)
Toppings (optional) –
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 – 4 tablespoons black chia seeds (I used the Healtheries Black Chia Seeds)
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup smashed raspberries
For the chia seed jam:
- 1 1/4 cup raspberries (if frozen, thawed)
- 1/3 cup black chia seeds (I used the Healtheries Black Chia Seeds)
For the chia seed jam:
- Take your raspberries add them to a blender and puree. (I used my Nutribullet for this but you could use a blender, food processor or stick blender)
- Add the raspberry puree to a jar and mix in chia seeds.
- Cover and let sit for at least 20 minutes in the fridge. For best results, leave overnight.
For the banana loaf:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees on bake.
- Make your chia seed egg by mixing together chia seeds with almond milk in a small bowl. Let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes until the chia seeds have swollen and the mixture turns to a gel.
- Take a bowl and mix together the flour and cacao in a powder.
- In a larger bowl, combine the mashed banana, chia seed egg, coconut sugar, coconut oil, coconut yoghurt, vanilla extract. Whisk well.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet mixing well. You will need to mix until the mixture is well incorporated. It will be thick, slightly wet and have a deep brown colour.
- Using a spatula, fold through shredded coconut and raspberries.
- Grease a 20 cm loaf tin with coconut oil. Pour your mixture into the loaf tin and decorated with sliced banana, chia seeds, shredded coconut and raspberries.
- Place in the oven and cook for 60 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Serve and enjoy!
WIN A CHIA SEED PRIZEPACK!
Thanks to the team at Healtheries there are 5 chances for you to win a chia seed prize pack. This includes black chia seeds, white chia seeds and ground chia seeds. To be into win, simply leave a comment below letting me know what you’d create with any of the Healtheries Chia Seed products.
Be sure to use the #arieats if you try this recipe out so I can see your recreation. You can even pop a photo in the comments below and you may just win yourself a prize!