This is a great way to get in a low calorie vegetarian dish packed full of flavour!
Currently I’m doing an Optifast Intensive pre-op diet before I get gastric sleeve in just a few weeks! As part of this diet, we’re required to have 2-4 cups of vegetables per day from an allowed list. I LOVE creating meals that are recreations of food that I love – pasta being one of them!
This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, low carb and low calorie alternative! Konjac noodles are a low calorie noodle that doesn’t really have a taste so packing flavour into this with garlic and basil tomato sauce really helps to make a delicious meal. I also roast the eggplant and they replicate a meat like texture – crispy on the outside and oozy on the inside which is so yummy!
Konjac Pasta with Roasted Eggplant, Tomatoes & Cucumber Ribbons
Recipe created by Ari Eats
Makes 2-3 servings
Prep time: 20
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1
- 1 can of cherry tomatoes in thick sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10-12 leaves of basil
- 2-4 cloves galric
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 courgette/zucchini, peeled into thin strips
- 1 pack of Konjac noodles – angel hair or spaghetti works best
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius on fan bake.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Slice your eggplant into rounds approximately 2.5cm thick and place on the tray.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Ensure these are completely covered for the best result when cooking.
- Allow to cook for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Roughly chop into large chunks – approximately sixths.
- In a medium sized pan over a medium heat, add olive oil and garlic. Allow garlic to infused for 1 minute before adding the can of tomatoes with the juice.
- Turn the temperature down to a simmer and leave for 5 minutes.
- Take the courgettes, eggplant and rip basil into pieces adding this all to the sauce.
- Follow this with adding the konjac noodles and tossing to combine. Allow to simmer for a further 5-8 minutes until warm and all the flavours have infused.
- Serve while hot. Top with a basil leaf like I did and enjoy!